Of course, your compensation after a car accident will depend on the circumstances surrounding the collision, but in general, you are entitled to the following damages in an auto accident which was not your fault:
- You are entitled to medical expenses for injuries you sustained in the accident. This can include hospital bills, doctor bills, prescription drug costs, surgical costs, rehabilitative therapy costs, and any and all future costs you can expect to incur because of your injuries.
- You are entitled to lost wages, if your injuries were severe enough to prevent you from returning to work immediately following the accident.
- If your injuries are particularly severe, preventing you from returning to work for months, years—or forever—then you will be entitled to future lost wages as well, calculated according to your current position, your education, and your likelihood of advancement in your career.
- You will be entitled to damages for your vehicle—the costs of repair, and possibly the cost for a rental car while your car is being repaired.
- You will also be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering. Pain and suffering is a legal term which refers to physical pain as well as emotional and mental injuries, such as grief, worry, fear, insomnia, inconvenience and the loss of enjoyment of your life.
The full extent of your pain and suffering can be documented via personal journals and photographs as well as from friends and family who can tell a jury how the injuries have impacted your life.
Click Here to Read Our Guide to the Personal Injury Claim Process
Do I Need a Car Accident Attorney?
Click here to learn more about whether or not it would be helpful for your case to hire a car accident attorney. Above all, we’re here to help.
The most important thing to start doing right away is to take detailed notes of your accident, your expenses, any lost wages, etc. Then, it’s incredibly important that you find an experienced personal injury attorney to help represent you.
We understand that every client’s case is unique, and we want to answer the many questions you probably have. We are experienced in all aspects of personal injury, including filing a claim for compensation after a car accident. Contact one of our attorneys to set up a FREE consultation.
How Do I know if I Have a Personal Injury Claim?
Should I Accept the First Check the At-Fault Driver’s Insurance Company Offers Me?
What Factors Influence the Value of My Personal Injury Claim After a Car Accident?
What Kind of Records Should I Keep for My Claim After a Car Accident?